Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Stupid Money

A guy at my new job observed something interesting. Originally from Atlanta, he--like yours truly--moved to New York not too terribly long ago.

"I always imagined New York would be full of Stupid Money. Like, you'd move here and one day you'd be broke but then you'd land some ridiculous job you can't believe they pay you for. And the incredible thing is...it's true."

42nd Floorers, the man t'weren't wrong.

At the beginning of the week I come in to the office and write down my schedule--that is, I tell them when I'll be in.

Then the supervisors say, "Okay gang. We're on Metal Blast Squad today. Everyone grab a DS.Fork, since it's your first day we want you to just get as far as you can."

Or, "Okay gang. We're doing Bowling Ball Party 3 today. Everyone get to work. And have fun."

We talk about life, games, movies, crack jokes, listen to our iPods, and write down any bugs we observe.

Yep, 42nd Floorers. I'm now a video game tester. The pay isn't that great, but when you consider what it is I'm doing every day...I mean...geeze! As long as I get extra "temp" work every now and again, I'm golden.

It got me to thinking about my life. About how I worry constantly about my financial situation. About turing 30. About not having a grown-up career. About wanting a boring--but *safe*--office job and a house. And Nelson.

Then I think, "Holy juggling catz0rz."

WHO HAS MORE FUN THAN ME??!!

No comments: