Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Top 6

It's 06/06/06. In honor of this most dubious of days, how's about a little stroll down memory lane?

We all love the eighties. However, there can be no denying that the "Hugs Not Drugs" decade saw the creation of some of the most nightmarish characters ever to grace the silver screen. Which of us isn't still a little scarred by The Black Cauldron? Sure, watching it years later you realize the movie was lousy, but when you're only four feet tall and you don't know any better, that damn cartoon was scary as hell.

Kids don't have anything to worry about nowadays. Their playgrounds are made of soft plastic. They've never even seen a merry-go-round or see-saw. "Scary" for them is Lord Voldemort who, let's face it folks, just doesn't have that "nightmare factor" that those 1980s movie monsters had. Maybe that's because our fantasy movies took themselves VERY seriously. No crotch jokes. No poo-poo humor. No anachronistic asides. No Ron freakin' Weasley.

After a lot of consideration and personal reflection, I've put together a little list of the top movie monsters who wrecked havoc on my childhood. There were so many that I didn't have room to mention them all (which made this list really tough to call seeing as how I was convinced for years that Gremlins were living under my bed).

Give a shout out to your favorite. And remember, Damien, it's all for you.


The 42nd Floor's
06/06/06 Top 6
Scariest Movie Monsters of the 1980s



The Wolf, The Neverending Story, 1984

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


We all grew up with stories of big bad wolves. But, as most of us weren't raised by woodland creatures, it was difficult to imagine what a big bad wolf would actually look like. Sure, we had big bad wolves in the cartoons. But we knew, deep down, that real wolves don't wear hats and kid gloves. Real wolves bite. Real wolves hunt you down no matter where you go. Real wolves can talk and want to eat you. The Wolf in The Neverending Story did all those things. Dear God, weren't the muddy swamps, dying horses, enormous sneezing turtles, giant racing snails, evil talking sphinxes, rock monsters, luck dragons, gross little elf-people, the end of the world, and androgynous princesses enough?



David Bowie/the Goblin King, Labyrinth, 1986

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


By the time Labyrinth came out in 1986, I had had enough. I would never be able to handle this one. I saw the trailer and knew David Bowie would give me nightmares. He walked upside-down through Escher-inspired stairwells. He kidnapped babies. He was evil through and through. And he sang. I didn't need that in my life. I saw it for the first time just a few years ago and knew I made a good choice steering clear of this one.


The Seskis, The Dark Crystal 1982

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I might have been able to handle Labyrinth if it hadn't been for this little crash-course in New Age Buddhism masquerading as a puppet show of grotesquerie. Those dag-blamed "Mmmm!"-ing vulture monsters. I mean, who comes UP with stuff like this? What child wouldn't be scarred for life upon seeing the ailing Seski Queen, black, withered and gurgling, holding what looks like a baby's rattle, crumble into dust while cackling "I'm still the Queen!"--I just can't go on. The green, one-eyed witch was pretty freaky. Sucking the souls out of cuddly elf people was freaky too. But the vultures. The humming vultures. No way. No damn way.


The Clown, Poltergeist, 1982

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The tree that ate Carol Ann was one thing. The muddy swimming pool that tried to eat her older sister was another thing. But the scowling demon clown that tried to eat the little boy is in a class by itself. I don't know what my parents were thinking when they let Forko, Forkette, and me watch this little slice of hell. I remember thinking, "Why does that little boy have a life-sized clown in his bedroom?" I could tell, even at my tender young age, that a clown in your bedroom is a terrible idea. Kids used to love clowns. They don't anymore. You do the math.


Large Marge, Pee Wee's Big Adventure, 1985

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


She's been described as the Wicked Witch of the West of the eighties--the movie monster one must summon up the courage to overcome, or forever be ruled by. As far as I'm concerned, nobody ever really stopped being scared of Large Marge, despite claims to the contrary. The vivid excesses of the butch truck-driving spectre's horrible tale ("There was a sound like a garbage truck dropped off the Empire State Building! Yessir...it was the worst accident...I ever seen...!"), immaculately delivered with a mounting terror you could cut with a knife, could only have been topped by a little of Tim Burton's stop-motion weirdness. She was only on screen for two and a half minutes, but she'll haunt our nightmares forever.

The Wheelers, Return to Oz, 1985

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If there's one movie monster that appears on everybody's list, it's Dracula. If there's another, it's Frankenstein's Monster. But if you say, "Think more...80s" they'll pause for a moment. Then their eyes will go wide. Then they'll politely excuse themselves. That's because they've suddenly remembered the Wheelers, who seem to exist only to answer the question, "What could possibly be more terrifying than a pack of flying monkeys?" The Wheelers shrieked like banshees through an apocalyptic Emerald City, laughing insanely, their rusty wheels-where-their-hands-ought-to-be squealing like nightmare gurneys in a psycho ward. If they catch you (and you know they will), they throw you into the Deadly Desert which turns you into a human sandcastle the second you touch it. And I haven't even mentioned the evil queen with removable heads. It's as if some Hollywood producer was really ticked off at his bratty kid and thought, "I know, I'll make an official sequel to 'the Wizard of Oz', only I'll take out the songs and goofy midgets and throw in a few horrors. That'll show 'em!"


Horror-able Mention: The Alien Queen, the R.O.U.S.es, the Gremlins

12 comments:

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

At least Poltergeist wasn't supposed to be a kids' movie, like the others! I'm glad you included Labyrinth. That movie STILL freaks me out. What the crap?! Also, those costumes David Bowie wore were rather revealing for an audience that hadn't figured out the difference between boys and girls yet.

Fork said...

I guess I can't really blame my parents. Poltergeist was rated PG!!!

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

Are you serious??? Sheesh. Maybe in the '80s people just thought kids were made of stronger stuff than we really were.

Bibb Leo File said...

Though I would agree with you on the inclusion of the long-limbed clown from Poltergeist, I would humbly submit a little-known film called Clownhouse as the reason why many children stopped loving clowns after the 80s. True, the film was made at the dawn of the 90s, but it still retained that indescribable horror spice that made the 80s films so memorably disturbing. Check it out, if you dare...

www.clownhousedvd.com

"The circus is in town...but nobody's laughing."

Fork said...

By the way, did we ever settle this?

Anonymous said...

Large Marge made me want to poop my pants when I was a kid! And my evil older sister would pause it there and tickle me until I had to open my eyes and look.

It was just so shocking! You can't prepare for it, you know?


The Wheelers in Return to Oz, but that witch? Man! The closet full of sleeping heads was facinating and terrifying as a child

I never want to end up in that OZ, but I've got to vote for Large Marge

Anonymous said...

Large Marge all the way. Even I was freaked out by her and I don't scare easily.

Anonymous said...

BTW: Sorry to have wrecked having 6 comments to this post, but... well it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Bibb Leo File said...

I must admit that Large Marge never scared me at all; she was just an enigmatic old woman truck driver who just happened to be a ghost. What's so creepy about that?

Now David Bowie is another story. He's a real person, and his scariness extends beyond the movie into real life. And his hideous song to the goblins in those ridiculous leather pants, good lord!

"You remind me of the babe.
What babe?
The babe with the power.
What power?
The power of voodoo.
Who do?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the babe."

...now that's scary.

FancyPants said...

Woah, I am so glad you included Return to OZ. Because if anyone hasn't seen this movie, you should see it, and it will freak you out.

The psyche ward was one of the scariest parts for me. When they keep her in that room, about to give her shock therapy!

Oh yeah, and the sleeping heads waking up and calling out, "Dorothy!"

Anonymous said...

I think I'm changing my vote to the Skeksis. They were freaky. Mmmmmmmm....

Fork said...

Thank you! I found them REALLY disturbing. Not "jump out and scare you"-disturbing. More like "Those things are really, truly horrid, can we turn off the TV?"-disturbing.