Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I Did Not Care For This Movie (I Did Not Care For This Movie)



Do I need to say it again?

If I was one of the screenwriters on this film, I'd probably say it at least two more times. And you, the reader, would get the distinct feeling that I wanted to come up with something else, but I simply couldn't. So I just did the same thing again.

Not one to let the hype wagon get in the way of judging a piece of work based on its own merits, I pushed all the "best animated film of all freakin' time" falderal out of my mind and, as I did with this crap before it, I peacefully sat down prepared to enjoy the film with no ridiculously high expectations that it would change the way I look at the world.

It started out promising enough. And by promising, I mean, "Oh my gosh, I think I'm going to really, really love this movie." Like how I felt about this brilliant little movie which I totally didn't expect to end up anywhere near my top ten favorites list.

The planet Earth that Wall-E inhabits is trashed, in the literal sense. But, unlike his other powered-off counterparts, somehow his circuits have been fried and the little guy takes great interest in certain pieces of junk he finds in his daily wanderings, not unlike other Disney characters who marvel at garbage.




Early on, we find that Wall-E is positively enamored of an old VHS copy of "Hello, Dolly!" Yes. The very same. Here in this bleak post-apocalyptic landscape, Wall-E darts around on his daily routine playing "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" over and over again. Initially I was absolutely charmed by this. Of course. What better way to contrast the dismal state of the world than with a catchy tune from this most delightful (and underrated) of movie musicals? The technicolor! The life! The music! The song and dance!

That was when I decided Wall-E was destined for a place on my DVD shelf.

Then the humans show up and ruin everything.

Well, you know what they say. Art reflects life.

As soon as Wall-E leaves Earth, it's as if the movie looked at the high-wire of artsy storytelling it had been walking for the past thirty minutes and said, "Screw this. I'm getting some cotton candy."

Nothing ever happens once in this movie. It happens at least twice. I knew we were in trouble when our hero buried himself in a pile of sizzling rocks twice in three minutes. I swear, y'all. It's like the Teletubbies made this film. You can almost hear them in the screening room shouting, "Again! Again!"

By the eighth time we saw the same clip of "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" I thought, okay. That's quite enough. Hell, I almost cried when Wall-E picked up the garbage can lid and tried to emulate Michael Crawford with his straw hat.

But now that we've seen this SAME CLIP so many times that I've memorized the dance steps, it looks like what's REALLY going on here is they couldn't get Barbra to agree use the clips with her in them (sharp eyes will notice she's been digitally removed from her spot beside Tommy Tune).

Then there are all the dazzlingly confounding leaps of logic and numerous "whaa?" moments.

Why, for example, would EVA (I know her name is EVE, but as long as Wall-E calls her EVA, so shall I), whose "directive" is to find organic life and expresses not a shred of interest in the junk littering the planet, suddenly coo and ooh at Wall-E's collection of garbage? Is it because it's shiny? Fair enough. But if Wall-E loves shiny things, why, in one of the opening gags that garnered several gasps of horror from eager young females in our 42nd Street theater, does he throw away the diamond ring and keep the box?

What possible purpose is there for Fred Willard to record a second "secret" message that only the robots know about? If Earth is uninhabitable, as he believes, why not just have one message that says, "Sorry Captain, there's no hope for return. Just stay the course"?

If the robots can zip about through space with no negative effects, why do we need to be frightened for them when it looks like they're going to be dumped out of the airlock with the rest of the garbage? One moment Wall-E is near "death", the next moment he suddenly has the energy zip about nervously and lift a crushingly heavy object.

Okay, and maybe the idiot humans MIGHT SOMEHOW decide to leave their life of comfort and convenience and return to a barren, polluted, deserted planet Earth that needs a LOT of work. But in the opening scenes we established that there are lethal dust storms and torrents of acid rain that plague the land. What's going to protect the fat, boneless humans? Is it just because babies are present at their plant planting party that they are suddenly shielded by Good Intentions and Hope for the Future? Speaking of--if the humans never unplug from their floaty TV chairs, where did those aforementioned babies come from anyway?

I know, right? And it's not even as if I was sitting there with a pad of paper, sniggering to myself about how I was going to find all the blips in the storyline and write a blog entry about them. I'm willing to make allowances.

But the problems in Wall-E...they all just kept leaping into my lap, doing a little jig and giving me raspberries after smacking their butts and saying, "I got yer suspension of disbelief right HERE!"

You have to be careful when doing these dystopia movies because we, the audience, are continually comparing and contrasting their world against ours so we can see what's changed in 700 years.

The story becomes so sloppy there are times when it feels like full scenes have been deleted. I swear, how did they lose the plant that second time? Wall-E had it INSIDE him, then, in the next scene, it's travelling up the junk tube--whaaa? Even the Wall-E fanboys can't argue with me on that one.

And before you say, "It's just a cartoon, Fork. It doesn't have to be good/make sense," let me just say that I don't buy that cop-out response and I never shall. As long as there are animated movies out there that ARE exceptional and DO make sense and manage to achieve SOME degree of artistic merit, I don't see any reason why we should accept a B-minus piece of entertainment as "a masterpiece of the highest order".

Pixar does this, I've noticed. They'll get SO CLOSE to really nailing their storytelling. Sometimes they're terrifically successful (see "Toy Story 2" for a perfect example). And for good reason. They study the work these guys do, and, with a few exceptions, those guys are pretty great friggin' storytellers. Pixar borrows from them. They work on an intelligent level and sneak complex messages into their films, which surprise American filmgoers who are amazed when they're entertained and tricked into using their brains at the same time.

But it's like Pixar gets scared that the Shrek crowds won't like them. So they pander. They dump the subtlety. And they miss out on magnificent opportunities.

How much more effective would it have been if they cut the two rounds of robo-smooching and made the ultimate goal of Wall-E's merely to hold EVA's hand? How interesting it would have been to have a simple act of affectionately interdigitating--making a connection with another person--the final, powerful note we end on? After all, Cornelius never kisses Irene in "Hello, Dolly!" They just hold hands and walk dreamily off into the night.

And I know that's what happens in "Hello, Dolly!" because they show that clip about five times over the course of the movie. They even play the song over the final scene. It's nice and all, but how does "It Only Takes a Moment" fit there? Sure, it's pretty. Gorgous, even. But considering where we are in the story it doesn't make sense. Sort of like the seemingly random inclusion of Louis Armstrong's La Vie En Rose. Where did THAT come from?

What's especially interesting is the 180 we've travelled in movieland. Critic after critic has been utterly dazzled by this film's lack of dialogue in the opening thirty minutes. "How did they DO it? How did they PULL IT OFF? How can you make a movie WITHOUT TALKING??" I've got news for them. It's already been done. And in animation as well.

My buddy who saw the movie with me said, "Why did they make that into a full length? It would have been so much better as a short. The movie felt so padded."

I totally agree.

I totally agree.

I totally agree.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

For someone who consistently performs in and watches musicals, you know, where they burst into spontaneous singing for no good reason other than it's supposedly entertaining, to criticize this movie as illogical is bit hypocritical.

Anonymous said...

anonymous....boo, hiss. I'm sorry, but when you go to a musical, you go KNOWING that they will burst into spontaneous song...it's part of the package.

Thanks for another point of view, Fork...cause I've heard nothing but rave reviews.

Fork said...

It would be hypocritical, wouldn't it? Oh wait. Except for the fact that in musicals bursting into song and dance actually DOES make sense. It's expected. That's why there's a genre. You lose! Try again.

Fork said...

Oh wow. Thanks Xanna. You mustve been writing your post as I was writing mine. Congrats on the baby girl, btw. ;)

Bibb Leo File said...

Yeah, and they totally ripped off Short Circuit, too.

To tell you the truth, the whole "lonely robot learning to love" motif wanes a bit thin in my book. We've had I, Robot, Bicentennial Man, A.I., Robots, The Iron Giant, Batteries Not Included, the Robocop franchise, and the Terminator movies. I thought Pixar was supposed to be the innovative studio.

And you're right about the repetition. I noticed the duplicate "scaredy-robot" mugs and thought the very same thing: "I guess that was for the braindead slugs whose attention spans only last around 12 seconds."

O, sweet Pixar. Have you finally dropped a closet stinker?

Anonymous said...

Animation is a genre in which continuity issues are also understood. Oh wait, even the GREATEST FILMS EVER MADE have continuity issues! To suggest that just because these issues exist means it's not good is inherently fallacious. Have you seen Fellini's 8 1/2? Probably not, but just to give you a clue about it that isn't influenced by the truly unecessary 9, it's very, very, incongruous. Does that make it a bad film? No. Could the incongruous nature of a piece of art be the point in itself? Gasp! I shutter to think so. If singing in musicals is expected, then Wall-E being less than a perfect film should be expected. The problem is with your misdirected expectations. I am CORRECTLY expecting that you will indeed be "trying again" in response to this post. See how it works?

Fork said...

So what you're saying is that Wall-E was badly-written on purpose?

Anonymous said...

You realize you're in the tiny, tiny minority of people that dislike this movie, right? I mean more people like this movie than the childish Ratatouille and the crass South Park, but those are apparently beaming examples of artistic achievement. Whatever. You're obviously not a critic that can institute enough objectivity in watching a film to give it a fair rating.

I mean seriously, more people claim to have been abducted by aliens than dislike this movie.

Bibb Leo File said...

Hey "anonymous," are you a window? You must be a window, if you "shutter" to think that incongruity is an artistic achievement. The word is "shudder," lame-o.

And to use one of your own big-boy words, what is truly "fallacious" is your criticism of someone for a lack of objectivity, when you are clearly one of the least objective writers I've ever come across. I mean, "Everybody else loves it" is hardly a viable evaluative criterion.

Do you work for Pixar, or are you just their blog-whore?

Fork said...

It's not that I didn't LIKE the movie. It's that I can't understand why a movie with more filler than chicken in a Chinese buffet is being peddled as top sirloin. Even critics who weren't wild about the movie agree that it's the greatest animated film of all time.

And I'm sorry, but that just doesn't sit well with me. There are too many problems here for WALL-E to be the gold standard by which we judge animation.

It's GTAIV all over again.

Anonymous said...

Loving this blog!!

Oh, and thanks, Fork. We just found out and I can't believe it!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, if I'm one of the least objective writers you've EVER come across, bibb leo file, you must not read very much despite what your not so witty moniker might suggest. Did I say "Everybody else love it"? No. Once again, your reading skills are lacking. Speaking of which, congratulations, you've pointed out one my grammatical errors, so at the very least, you're not an ape. I'm not claiming infallibility, but if you want to use that as a point of contention, go right ahead. You will then be well on your way to actually being an ape.

Meanwhile, thank you fork for keeping this conversation on point. I appreciate your last comment and I think it is fair. From your initial blog, however, it seems like you cared less for this movie than you actually do. If you're willing to concede that your initial blog is not an outright bashing of the movie but more of an expression of general distaste, then that would be fair as well.

Bibb Leo File said...

Oh, yes, thanks be to the one who "keep[s] the conversation on point." Because talking about alien abductions and attacking someone else's opinions over a matter of taste is oh-so germane.

And why is it so important to you what Forky thinks about this film, anyway? Are you selling something? In the words of the Caterpillar, "Who are you?"

I may be an ape, but at least I'm not an anonymous one.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, "anonymous", scary isn't it? Why does it matter who I am? I don't who you are. You are just as anonymous to me as I am to you. Fork, is bibb leo file your blog guard? Should I just direct all comments to it?

Still, I'm only interested in discussing Wall-E in relation to the original posting by fork, and all of my comments have been to that point. However you want to misconstrue my intentions is fine, but my comments are on public display, and the readers of this blog can come to their own conclusions.

Fork said...

All right, y'all. We're getting off-topic. Let's get back to discussing the fact that Wall-E is totally overhyped.

You know, it feels as though EVERYTHING is overhyped these days. Obama, Grand Theft Auto 4, now Wall-E. Each of these things has somehow managed to infect the public and convince them that they're "TEH BEST EVAR!!1!"

I'm a little surprised at how willing people are to drink the Kool-Aid these days. I thought we were becoming MORE cynical and suspicious. Not less.

Anonymous said...

You know, blogging is pretty overhyped, but you seem to have a problem buying into that.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say you "don't" have a problem buying into blogging...

Fork said...

Okay anonymous. We're sticking a fork in you. You're done. You've been defeated. Just go to your death quietly. Don't fight it.

I concede to nothing. My initial disappointment with this "masterpiece" still stands. It is not garbage in the same way 'Shrek' is garbage, but Wall-E is not a flawless work of brilliance the likes of which the world has never seen.

Who are you, anyway? Do I know you?

Anonymous said...

Lose? Never.

I never said Wall-E was a work of brilliance. Never. My point is that it is slightly better than you're giving it credit for, especially in your initial post.

If you don't want public comments, don't make your blog public. If you're fine with public comments, then you and your friends need to stop whining about people posting comments on your site that you disagree with and happen to be anonymous. That is how the game is played, the game in which you and your friends are continuing to lose.