Saturday, July 05, 2008

Saturday Rant: Misers



So I have these friends who make TONS of money. Like, GOBS.

Thanks to some screw up with the postal system, the landlord lost the rent checks for all the tenants last month. But don't worry. He found them. That means that THIS month I'm seeing two months of New York City rent being amputated from both checking accounts.

So one of these friends gChats me a second ago.

"Hey, we're going out to eat and to a movie. Wanna do dinner? Or both?"

I say, "Sorry. I'm totally broke until I get paid from the art studio on Wednesday."

And instead of saying "Oh, don't worry about it. I'll take care of you and you can pay me back later. After all, I have a really cushy job, make lots of money, and really just want to spend some time with you as I have not seen you in several days"

he says

"Oh. Okay. Just thought I'd ask."

You know, if I had a ton of money, I'd take my poor friends out to eat all the damn time.

I'm just saying.

2 comments:

Bibb Leo File said...

As I said when I came to the Large Granny Smith, those aren't real friends. They're phonies.

By the way, Lil' Nelsie has gone to stay with his pseudo-grandparents (Mrs. Bibb's folks in 'Granite Plummets') while we're overseas. Just thought you'd like to know that we didn't leave him here all alone or dump him in some sort of kitty kennel.

He's living it up in a swanky retirement lake community.

Fork said...

See? Now that's really generous. The Bad Apple Gang could learn a lot from youse.