Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Agony

I am in agony.

And things will probably stay this way for at least the next two weeks.

So it turns out this is beginning sculpting 101. Sort of. I mean, some of the people in the workshop have sculpted before, but most of them...that is, 3/5 of them, haven't really.

So why, oh, why am I hanging from a ramshackle makeshift pull-up bar like an albino monkey?



Yes, it's dynamic. Yes, it's complicated. Yes, it's probably well beyond the abilities of these poor students. Look at that sweep of the spine. Look at how the shoulders are askew. Look at how the hips are not aligned and one juts out further than the other. And, dear Cod, look at that contraposto!

Also look at how the C clamps holding this damn thing together are 50 years old. Also look at how every time I try to give a little bit of my weight to the overhead bar, the whole thing begins to fall. So now look at how I'm having to pull on the bar to keep from falling backwards, AND use my abs like CRAZY to keep from leaning back TOO far and going down, monkey, banana, and all.

My right hip took the brunt of everything today. I cannot walk without limping. And since I was basically doing a light pull-up all day, my arms are crying.

I know my family is worried that I don't appreciate the value of a dollar and the work that goes into earning one.

I got news for 'em. T'ain't no one in this family worked for their money the way I work for mine.

And I don't just mean in the naked sense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Complain! Complain! Complain!-Actually I think it looks incredibly difficult.

Bibb Leo File said...

Contraposto! I just saw the Venus de Milo, and she's not whining about her contraposto!

Of course, her arms fell off from the strain of modeling long ago...