Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Women and the Wheel

DISCLAIMER! To females and Presbyterians: THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY! Enjoy!

I'm madder than a NASCAR racer with square wheels over this claptrap that women are just as safe behind the wheel as the only people who ought to be driving: red-blooded American MEN!

I've replayed the car crash I was in this weekend over and over again in my head. For those of you who don't know, I was sitting at a stoplight on Friday night, minding my own business, when suddenly I heard I loud crash and everything went black for a split second. I opened my eyes. Thinking rapidly, I realized that the reason my neck was hurting was because of whiplash. Then it occurred to me what had happened. Some fool rear-ended me!

With a newfound sense of mortality, I flicked on the emergency lights and looked over my shoulder at the driver of the other car. Her eyes, for I'm sure you've already guessed it was a girl that slammed into my completely stopped car, were wide with worry. She followed me into the parking lot of a nearby apartment complex.

I hopped out, assessed the damage, then walked over to her car. Knowing that stressful situations are only made worse when people are hopping mad, I assumed an air of deep concern as I stooped by her window and asked, "Are you okay?! Oh, I'm so glad you're all right!"

I was met with the following words:

"I am so sorry. I wasn't even paying attention. My mind was in a million other places."

Of course it was! Folks, driving is a privilege, not a right. I shudder to think what would have happened had that ding-bat been driving one of those gas-guzzling SUVs. I realize the ladies like to drive those things to feel "safer" because it makes them bigger than everybody else on the road, but let's think about this: When a woman is sitting in a car, the seat all snug and cozy, the air nice and warm, soft music playing, a toasty mocha latte in her hand, and the pretty scenery racing by, what is she most likely to do?

That's right! Snuggle up and go to sleep! Or put on make-up!

As I write this there's an army of mini-tanks being driven by emotional and unstable females who are more interested in primping and keeping their eyes on their hair, rather than where they should be keeping 'em; on the poor Joe they just squashed under their two-ton wheels!

If I had my way, women who want to buy one of those Death-UVs would be required to participate in a special class that would evaluate their driving before the salesman handed them the keys.

It would be similar to a monster-truck rally only better. The women would have to drive around a fairly straightforward obstacle course full of fluffy critters like bunnies and squirrels. Then we'd get some really big truck, like that Big Foot from the 1980s, to chase after them while their husbands sit in the stands and rate their driving skills. If she can get through the course without swerving off the road to mourn for Little Bunny Foo-Foo or try to talk to about her feelings, she's okay in my book.

And if she doesn't pass the test, she would forfeit her license for a whole year and only let her husband drive. If she's not married, she'll have to walk or take the bus or hire somebody to drive her around. Unemployment would decrease and it would give our economy the much-needed shot in the arm it needs to get itself back on track.

Mark my words, after experiencing Forky's Monster-Truck driving test, she'll know how the rest of us guys feel when we see her careening down the highway in six-passenger vehicle with herself as the sole passenger. She'll think twice before saying, "No, honey, let me drive."

And I wouldn't have to get myself a new bumper!


These women are right where they belong: in the back seat!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly! I'm not even sure why they keep giving me a driver's license!! I never pay attention - and what's more, if I didn't have amazing Honda brakes, I'd have rear-ended about a hundred people...maybe more!!! I hate driving. As soon as I can pay some idiot to do it for me, I plan on it! (And of course the idiot must be a man. Fortunately, I don't think he'll be hard to find.)

Anonymous said...

I won't even address the injustice and prejudicial bias you've highlighted in your post. No need to go there.

But what I will say is that I was rear ended at a stop light in early June by a MAN and the force of that impact shoved me into the car in front of me. No one was injured and we all drove away. But it's October and after physical therapy months ago, I still have neck pains.

Bending my neck down to study my books more than thirty minutes kills. And no I can't just hold the books up, they weigh a ton.

Moral of this pity story is if her insurance asks you to settle, DON'T until you've either recieved 3 months of physical therapy OR when they ask you how much you have been inconvenienced and how much pain you are in you tell them ALOT so that you can milk them for what it's worth now with a nice pain and suffering check. Had I known in June that I would have problems with my neck in October......

Their insurance will make it sound like you have to settle immediately. But you don't. I waited a month. I should have waited 3 or 4.

Anonymous said...

Ahem. Tell that to the guy who TOTALED my car because he couldn't be bothered to look for oncoming traffic before rocketing across several lanes. SOME people are such aggressive drivers they put other people's lives in danger. Testosterone-fueled people, mostly.

Years driving: 10
Number of speeding tickets: 2
Number of accidents my fault: 0

And, for the record, if you only do your makeup at red lights, that isn't hurting anybody, so there!

Hmph. MEN!

Fork said...

Thanks for the tip!

By the way, this post is meant to be totally ridiculous. There's the disclaimer just in case some people (read: Presbyterians) read this and think I'm a chauvinist psycho. Women do lots of things better than men! Cooking, cleaning...you name it!

Fork said...

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

I would blame scottlovesjesus for begging me to write this article (he really did! Honest!) but I can't. It's those dag-blamed bare ankles what done it!

Anonymous said...

Well, to Forky's defense, I am a horrible driver. HORRIBLE. So, I think that he might have been talking about me, but making it sound like he was talking about EVERYBODY so he wouldn't offend anyone, but the joke's on him!!! Even if he had just come out with how he REALLY felt about me, I would not be offended! Why, you ask. Because I know I'm an awful driver and I'm okay with that. I've had well over 8 speeding tickets and have managed to hit not one, not two, but several stationary objects, like cars and poles and whatnot. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you see me comin' - start movin'!

Anonymous said...

i mean, so he wouldn't offend ME. tee hee.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, that's true, Queen, III. Maybe you have a point there. It also gives me a really funny mental image of you careening across several lanes of road, horns honking, tires squealing... in the mental image, you are a Wallace and Gromit-type claymation character. Don't ask me why.

Fork said...

I totally see that, a-dub!

Anonymous said...

I have been told that I'm very animated...maybe that includes CLAYmation!

Anonymous said...

Well I will address the injustice and prejudicial bias you've highlighted in your post! Death UV's work hard to maintain their sleek figures, but to call them 'two tons' is an insult. Many approach if not exceed three tons! They throw that weight around with pride, so don't slight them.

And how dare you assume that we husbands are here to chauffeur our wives around? How dare you?!? I'm so mad I can't even speak!

Anonymous said...

maybe you could get your cockers to speak for you.

Fork said...

WHOA! Queen! Below the belt! I'm starting to think we need to have our very first blog boxing match. Scottlovesjesus vs. Queen III! Sunday! Sunday! Someday!

Anonymous said...

I'm down. The only question is, can scottlovesjesus handle THE QUEEN?!! I'm a force to be reckoned with, you know. Just ask my mother. Do the words Katie KaBoom do anything for ya'?