Thursday, July 23, 2009

Calm Before the Theatre Storm

One down, two to go.

It's another one of those days where I wonder why I spent so much time coordinating my outfit this morning since it would spent the vast majority of the day folded up in the corner.

I'm trying to enjoy myself. See, tomorrow morning it's the 7am train to Connecticut.

I think the idea of having a theatre retreat is bizarre. The only retreats I've ever been on have been church-related and generally involve a little ponderous soul-searching or some meaningful moments of worship.

But not this retreat. No, this is a *theatre* retreat where the cast of the play hopes to knock out most/all of the scenes so we can cut back on rehearsals when we get back to Manhattan.

And there may be some substance abuse. But I don't know. Whatever. I'm not messing with that crap. Especially not with a bunch of strangers. Because that's really what they are to me. Strangers. I don't play video games with them = I don't know them.

I understand the director/playwright team thought this would be an awesome opportunity for everybody to do something fun and unusual. I get that. That's cool.

The issue I have is they planned the retreat to go from Wednesday evening to Sunday evening.

And if you know nothing about New York, know this: it's expensive.

And I'm not cancelling three modeling gigs so I can take the weekend to make zero dollars for a play I'm doing for free. In fact, we aren't being fed either. If we want to eat this weekend, we have to buy a weekend's worth of food at the nearby grocery store.

But who knows. May have the time of my life. The train ride should be fun.

And I have 'Coraline' on my iPod so if things get really bad I can relish in a stop-motion near-Christian allegory about the nature of temptation and how evil works.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

Bibb Leo File said...

Just remember that the "gravy train" is never all it's cracked up to be...

Translation: Stay away from the Other Mother and her low-quality hashish.