Thursday, May 11, 2006

D'urbious

You wake up at 7:00am, do crunches, brush your teeth, wash your face, pet the cat, feed the cat, feed yourself, pack enough food for lunch and dinner, depart for the office, get there, spend the rest of the day dealing with Yasriel, Mr. Archibald, Candie, Ginjur, Jerrie and Co., then run to the gym (sneaking out of work at 4:45), work out as hard as you can for an intense 45 minutes, drive as fast as you can to rehearsal, snarf down a protein bar, get to the rehearsal hall (three minutes late! For shame!), stay there until 10:30pm, and finally get home somewhere around 11:00.

You'd think a person would be worn out by the time they finished feeding the cat again, playing "catch the shiny Christmas ribbon", brushing and flossing, and then collapsing into bed.

But not me! No sir! I'm as wound up as a top! a dreidel! an ambitious wind-up robot with high hopes of having all his robo dreams come true!

It's times like these, when slumberland seems such a distant goal, that I always depend on my secret sleep-aide:

Classic literature.

There's nothing like a half a glass of protein shake and a little Tale of Two Cities to get the Sandman a-tugging at your eyelids.

I opted to forgo Dickens this time around and decided it was high time to give Queen III's favorite semi-biographical novel of her life, Tess of the D'urbervilles another go. I remember the last time I tried to read Tesszzzzzzzzzz... ZZZzzz... ZZZzzz...

10 comments:

Moderator said...

People always get offended when I ask them to come over and read a little Dickens with me.

Fork said...

I don't even know you, Grant Miller, but I like the way you think!

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

I love Tess! I've read it several times myself. So tragic. So stupidly for no reason tragical! What can be better?! I want to cry a little right now just thinking about it. If you want a snooze, however, try Jane Eyre.

Moderator said...

If you need to sleep, read anything by Theodore Drieser.

Queen, III said...

Let's HOPE it's only semi-biographical anyway! We won't know until I die...if I die tragicly on Stonehenge, then it could be at least, like 5/8-biographical!

Anonymous said...

I have found marketing textbooks equally effective. Much like Dickens, I enjoy it... I just can't stay awake through it late at night.

That and the Ambient commercial. That thing makes me sleepy every time!

Tracy said...

Thank you for making me feel better about not finding classic literature stimulating. It was the best of times, it was the worszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Fork said...

The funny thing is Jane Erye had my full attention 80% of the time. Maybe it's just certain books. Or maybe I'm getting smarter? Tess doesn't quite have the soporific effect it used to have. All them words make pretty pictures in my head. *squeal*

Queen, III said...

OMG!!! Forky! I think that you're finally understanding my obsession with books about tragic heroines. They're beautiful - like floating! The words make your imagination run wild...maybe you should read Lady Chatterley's Lover next...tee hee.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »