Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Zip-a-disk-doo-dah

So I haven't been able to update my website since my old computer crashed. My web pages are saved onto these zip disks (a drive for which Babbette, my new computer, doesn't have). So since work's been a little slow the past couple of days I figured I'd go to Best Buy, get a new zip drive and work on my web page at work.

Interestingly enough, when I asked the Best Buy Guy where their zip drives were, he laughed at me and told me that they haven't carried zip drives in over a year.

Where was I for all that? Since when did zip drives become antiques? Probably while I was on tour with Everycity Children's Theatre for eight months. You leave town for a few weeks and when you come back, the whole world has moved on without you. It's like coming back from the War. Now I know how they felt in "The Best Years of Our Lives".

So I admitted defeat and resolved myself to an evening of viewing a bootleg copy of Disney's most popular banned film, 'The Song of the South' (thanks sis and brother-in-law!) in honor of our friends in the South who aren't able to watch their favorite movie because of the hurricane.

Is it politically correct? Hell no. Is it the most racist movie ever? Not a chance! Any of these "modern comedies" you see in the movies today are way more offensive than this colorful collection of fables! Sure, there are a few moments when you think, "Whoa, Walt...careful..." but for the most part, I loved it! And there are some satisfactual performances in it, too. Hattie McDaniel (aka "Mammy" from 'Gone With the Wind') has a large (and sassy) part and the scene where white little Johnny takes Uncle Remus' hand and tells him, "You're my best friend in the whole wide world!" almost brought a tear to my eye!

But the most satisfactual thing about the film is its subtlety. I think you'd have to actually see it to know what I mean by that, but I'll just say that nobody ever tells little Johnny, "You can't spend time with Uncle Remus because he's a slave." I mean, you know it's an issue, but nobody talks about it. It's just sort of understood. They don't beat you over the head with it like they might if the movie was made today. Heck, the antagonists are these two little white bullies who work on the plantation along with the slaves. Meanwhile, Uncle Remus is depicted as a pillar of strength and home-spun wisdom. What's not to love?

I guess people had a problem with the fact that Uncle Remus is always so upbeat even though he's a slave. Hey, this ain't 'Beloved' folks (thank God).


The verdict? 'Song of the South' is actually a very mature film that deals with the race issue in a subtle but powerful way. It's one of my new favorite movies!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have to say the previews for the movie "White Chicks" was one of the most racist and sexist things I've ever seen.

By the way, Hattie McDaniel has a HILARIOUS small role in "Alice Adams"--have you watched it yet???-- in which she plays the sassiest, most disgruntled day-maid EVER. She's so good. Osbourne thinks they created the supporting actress Oscar the next year as a direct result of her teensy but memorable performance in that movie!

Fork said...

Did they ever give her a posthumous award? If ever there was anybody who deserved one it's her.

Anonymous said...

You know she was the first African American to win an Academy Award, right? (GWTW)

Fork said...

WHAT? Then why did they make such a big deal when Halle Berrie won??

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! » » »