Tuesday, August 09, 2005

(Almost) Every Word is True

Consuela, Mr. Archibald's assistant, was out of the office for a few days last week and Eventual, not wanting to plunk down the cash for a temp, turned its lusty gaze in my direction. I suddenly found myself in the curious world of administrative assistants, booking non-refundable $1,300 business trips with each click of my mouse...and not a day's worth of training!

Archibald: (upon his return from a business trip) Please, when you make my hotel reservations, do not book me at a place that charges more than $500 a night. I stay at the Gruntle Hotel all the time and suddenly their prices are through the roof. Can you explain that to me? Catterwaul & Malapert have a special rate with the Plaza and they got me a fabulous room for $250 a night. Why can't we have a deal like that?

Me: I don't know.

Archibald: I just don't understand it. I'm not going to pay $500 a night. That's just ridiculous. I don't want to stay at the Gruntle anymore. They're not going to get our business as long as their prices are as ridiculous as that.

Me: Okay.

Archibald: Ridiculous.

(later, I enter Archibald's office with his travel arrangements in hand)

Me: Okay Mr. Archibald, I've got a great hotel. It's only $275 a night and it's not far from where the conference is going to be. It's the SingleTree Cosmopolitan--

Archibald: No.

Me: Uhh...is something wrong with the location or...?

Archibald: (incredulously) I am NOT staying at a SingleTree.

Me: Oh. Uhhh...okay.

Archibald: Just put me at the same hotel I was at last time.

Me: But I thought--

Archibald: What's this? (Archibald examines the list of available hotels) The Gruntle is seventy dollars cheaper than it was last time!

Me: Yes it is.

Archibald: Why is that?

Me: I'm sorry. I don't know.

Archibald: Well it's so different from before. I mean, was there something going on that made it more expensive last time? Was there some sort of convention?

Me: I think rates just fluctuate depending on events in the City and how much in advance you book your room.

Archibald: I want to stay at the Gruntle. The more often you stay in one place the better a relationship you build. Catterwaul & Malapert have a special rate with the Plaza and you get those sorts of perks by being a faithful customer. Where did you get this hotel list?

Me: I got it from Hotel Online Website just like every other time--

Archibald: Well I think there must be something wrong with the website. I think it must be broken.

Me: (unsure of what to say) Okay.

Archibald: I think the people on that website need to be informed that the prices for hotel rooms are changing at a ridiculous rate.

Me: Okay.

Archibald: (picking up a piece of paper) By the way, did you fax this out?

Me: Yes. I faxed it out when you told me to and put it back in your inbox because I thought you--

Archibald: Remember how I told you early last week that when you fax something out you need to mark the date and time it was faxed at the bottom of the page?

Me: Yes. I remember. So sorry.