Thursday, March 06, 2008

Dress Rehulele

This is it, folks.

The show gets thrown together tonight. And I do mean thrown together. The set designer quit, the costume mistress had a cat fight with the composer's personal assistant, the stage manager is stewing, the choreographer has emotionally checked out, and the band is down to two people.

There's a point in the show where the three ukulele kids are about to perform in a concert. In story, they've sold out and have started playing punkulele instead of just regular ukulele. Then, at the last minute, the tried and true "story of a band" cliché emerges and the kids have to decide at the last possible second if they've got the nerve to play their own stuff in front of the biggest crowd of their lives.

Personally, I REALLY liked it when we got on stage, we stopped, there was tense silence...then a nod from me, and one of the girls started the bouncy uke song.

Well, the guys in the booth need a little something more than that. So now I'm supposed to shout, "Hold it!" before we start. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, seeing as how the vamp has a set place that to stop, the ensemble is frozen and waiting for our cue anyway... Everything is already stopped so...what the farp.

I think it destroys this nice moment of tension we've got going but, hey. Whatever. I'm apparently just an actor with no understanding of interesting storytelling.

So I ask the director, "Well, who do I say this 'HOLD IT!' to? Am I talking to the band (the two guys on stage behind us)? Or the dancers? Or the guys in the booth? I mean, where do you want me to take this? How 'bout to God? You know, 'God! Stop this ukulele madness!'"

Our schizophrenic director then says, with this REALLY snide voice, "Fork, it's not an effing soliloquy. Just say it."

OOOOOOOOH that made me mad. OOOOOOOOOH that made me mad. It was 11:30pm, we'd been rehearsing since noon, and I was all out of funny.

But it's almost my birthday and I'm getting this, so who the farp cares?



MIDNIGHT LAUNCH, BABY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying not to laugh.

And you don't get birthdays.

FancyPants said...

Farp. I like it.