Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Excuse Me?

We had a very good run last night.

Was getting pretty frustrated for a while there. Things felt really vague and I didn't have a very clear picture of where the characters were going, y'know? Night after night I'd try the scenes in a different way, but to no avail. It still felt wrong. Fuzzy.

Did some work on the script yesterday afternoon, relationships and intents were clarified, and last night in the run it all clicked. I followed my new instincts in some of the scenes and POW! they took off in different--and better--directions that excited everybody.

And the thing is, while everybody else is all busy trying to make these elaborate and ridiculous backstories or trying to bend our Brechtian universe to make it make sense and be all literal, I stand by my rule of thumb in acting: Simple, simple, simple.

Everyone must've been REALLY happy with the way things went last night because I got an invitation to a party this evening.

"Hey Forky, do you smoke the ganja?"

"Excuse me?--er--I mean, no. I don't. Sorry."

"Oh. Okay. I was just thinking we could all get together tomorrow after final dress and have a little party to decompress before opening."

"Well, maybe. Kinda sounds like fun. I'll think about it."

May the Lord strike me dead if I go with them. And considering I'm the only Christian in the joint--uh--cast, that would be a really great witness. I can't really think of a worse way to spend the night before opening...High and drunk (and penniless) in some far-away apartment in Brooklyn.

Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY appreciate the invite. Hey, I recognize kindness when it's offered to me. I'm aware that I'm something of an oddity to these folks. I mean, look at my hair. I'm a hippie on the outside but a clean-cut, church going Republican on the inside. And I'm in a show with naked lesbian boobies. Yeah, that IS odd, come to think of it.

I mean, seriously. I'm here to act, not rant about how I think the president should be shot or how religion makes people into unhappy, repressed freaks. So excuse me if I just sit here and nibble on these baby carrots and do some ab flexes. I've got a show to focus on. Harumph.

And for the record, I'm not being some holy roller here. I'm not turning down the invitation JUST because of the whole pot element. Forky has been around the block. Well...he's been TO the block just so he could say he went there. But only once. For the record.

No, I'm not turning down the invitation just because of pot. I'm turning it down because I freakin' hate lesbians.

WHOA! Okay, I'm joking. Seriously. That last bit was totally meant for shock value. I'm not going to the party so I can get a good night's sleep. Seriously, guys. The ladies I'm acting with are really great, really fun, and have a lot of really cool unresolved pain from childhood abuses that they haven't dealt with.

GEEZE! I did it again! MAN, I hope I never run for president or vice-treasurer or something like that! I see these opportunities to say inappropriate things and I just can't resist. Of COURSE I'm kidding!

Seriously.

No. SERIOUSLY.

5 comments:

Queen, III said...

You're totally not kidding. And, if you ever DO run for anything...I'll be the first to expose you for the crazy lesbian-hater that you are!!!

but just because I love you.

Seriously.

Anonymous said...

By "different and better directions," do you mean "with clothes on?"

Fork said...

Think about who you're talking to.

The Cliff said...

If you run for office of any sort can I be your campaign manager, or secretary of something?? But not an intern...never an intern

Bibb Leo File said...

You're going to work those damned abs into every role you ever play, aren't you?

They could cast you as Daddy Warbucks and you would rip off your tuxedo during "I Don't Need Anything But You" and do some sort of perverse belly dance (while buxom lesbians gyrate in the background and whisper "It's Annie" through luscious, Botoxed lips).

Come to think of it, that show would rock...