Tuesday, September 19, 2006

On the 21st Floor

It's not as high as the 42nd floor, but in a lot of ways, it feels curiously more...impressive.

Maybe it's because, looking out the window, you're surrounded by a bunch of buildings a lot taller than yours. Well. Yours might be just as tall, but there's no way to tell because you're only on 21. You can also make out what's going on down below. Where before you were too high up to even care what those little specks were doing, here on 21 they're real people with real hopes and real dreams.

And real smoking problems! Gack! I know we all want to be shwanky like the Europeans, but for real, people!

Anyway, this week's temp job (and my first since landing in Supercity X) is at Wawlmarque Entertainment. You know, the people who make all the mini serieseses you watch on the TV.

I know, right?

It's pretty interesting. I'm covering for this woman in the scripts development department. She and her boss do all this research trying to find ideas for new serieseses.

However, when the big boss calls it's easy to lose your nerve and fail to answer the phone. After all, he's this ancient man with a thick German accent. For all I know, he strangled puppies with the Hitler youth.

I don't want him to strangle me.

Tomorrow should be the hardest day. The woman I'm covering for did a Consuela-riffic job of preparing me (that is, she was totally unclear and didn't really tell me WHAT I was doing). But her boss (not the Nazi--this one is a power hungry woman from the Bronx) will be gone through the end of the week. No supervisors.

I'd better bring the charger for Blackwell the Blackberry. When the cat's away...

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Blog on Forky! Fun to hear about your new adventures in Supercity X! You must take on a superhero identity now that you're living in Supercity X.

"Ma'am did that man just steal your purse? Never fear...Mighty Abs is here!"

Anonymous said...

21st floor? You're half the man you used to be!

Are you looking for miniseries suggestions? Because I'm full of them!

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

They've done some pretty good "specials." And some lousy ones. What those people are freakin' good at is commercials. OOOOOH!!! You should recommend a two-hour Christmas retrospective of Christmas commercials from years past! That one where the boy thinks his big brother can't come home from college, and he's sadly singing his Christmas solo for the relatives anyway, and his brother comes in at the last moment and joins in? Seriously, I have chills right now. I am not kidding.

The Cliff said...

I still think a Joey/Kramer roommate show would be brilliant!!