Friday, September 08, 2006

A Confession

I have a confession to make.

My mother asked me, upon my triumphant return from the Great New York Apartment Hunt (GNYAH), when I was planning on going back up.

"Oh, I thought something like the 15th."

"Why do you want to wait that long?" she asked. "Every day you're here is money you aren't earning in New York!"

"Okay Mom," I said. "How about September 11th?"

A pause.

"Well," said Mom, "You'd probably get really good rates with the airlines."

So September 11th it was. Plans were made. The non-refundable plane ticket was purchased. I started jovially telling people that I was flying into New York on September 11th. Flying into New York on September 11th. Flying into New York on September 11th.

Okay. I confess. I thought it would be cute when and if I become famous to tell the talk show host that I flew into New York on the fifth anniversary of the attacks and my life has been one nutty adventure ever since. Isn't that kinda funny? You know. Like how people make Pearl Harbor jokes?

But now that I'm at my parents' house and I'm seeing all these "Never Remember, Never Forget" specials on the evening news, my "Ha ha ha! I'm flying into New York on September 11th! Ha ha ha!" has rapidly become "Uhh...ha...ha ha...I'm flyiiiiing...into *gulp* New York on *shiver* September 11th! Ha...um...ha ha...."

I've made a huge mistake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be brave, Forky. Just don't try to take shampoo on board.

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

You can do it. After all, you are the person who sent me a "Happy September 11" email back on 9/11/2002. If you can be that flippant on the first anniversary, you can certainly fly into the city on the fifth. Besides, as N.O. pointed out admiringly, it's sort of like giving a big middle finger to Osama.

Magic word: nlyfl. It's practiclly fly ny!

Fork said...

The Cachinnator: But I NEED my Pantine Pro V! What will these curly locks do without it??

A-Dub: I like that. I feel like I should buy a little American flag and stick it in my backpack. Oh YEAH, Oh, Sama! This is what I think of your terrorism! More like I'mnotscaredofyouism!

Beeki: I'm glad the cockers are rooting for me. But I think they might have already forgotten who I am.