Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I Love My Oo-Koo-Lay-Lay

That's the proper way to say it. Oo-Koo-Lay-Lay. Maybe it's more like Lehy-Lehy--a broader, more open vowel sound. But I know the Oo-Koo part is right.

Once again, work and creativity collide on the 42nd Floor. Here's your update:

NofriendoLand is my new turf for the summer months. The pay is crap but it's pretty enjoyable. What's not fun about selling video games to people? So what if I'm dining on crusts of bread and drinking water from the tap? I'm doing something I like, dangit.

(side note: the tap water in New York is actually the best in America. And really, it ought to be once you consider the steps that must be taken to make it drinkable. Guess it goes to show that nothing is completely irredeemable, not even the toxic sludge at the bottom of the Hudson)

The NofriendoLand managers even gave yours truly a free copy of "Pirates of the Confusabbean 3". In order to access the Dueling mini-games that they wanted to use for the big Pirates Event at the store last Saturday, you had to first beat the game. And that's exactly what I did.

While I was supposed to be working.

Mexican children would come up to me and say, "Meester, can I play?" and I'd say, "Beat it, you squirrely cupid from Constantinople! Can't you see I'm WORKING here?"

Seriously. Who has more fun than me?

Thing is, the game developers didn't put much thought into the game aside from "Hey, let's throw this on the shelf and hope people who like the movie buy this piece of junk!" Getting through the game was such a chore that rewarding me with my VERY OWN COPY seems almost...cruel.

It's like, I get the joke.

In other news, had a callback this evening. Hopefully I'll post some sort of good news within the next 24 hours.

And by good news, I mean BESIDES the fact that we're FINALLY (no really--FINALLY) done with the tablework for Kingly the 2.

THAT was painful.

See, we have a lot of Shakespeare nerds in the cast. You know the type. They can scan a line, tell you if the ending is feminine, what a dactyl is (I wanted to know if there was such a term as rannosaurus rex--nobody laughed)...

But the biggest grievance of all: They're REALLY into the history plays. They can tell you who's who, who did what, who Shakespeare paints as good in one play and evil in another, and most of all, which order they go in.

There's nothing nerdier in Shakespeare world than being into the history plays. That would be kinda like those odd people who enjoy talking about English nobles and monarchs before the time of Queen Elizabeth. Suh-NOOZE!

Y'know, I oughtta give them some credit. Maybe it's just not my bag. The world needs people who literally get giddy and giggly talking about Shakespeare's version of English history.

I'm not one of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! We are out there! Shakspere, Shaksper, Shaxper, Shake-speare nerds, unite!

Bibb Leo File said...

You forgot 'Shakespear'. That spelling was used primarily in the early nineteenth century, when the Bard was just beginning to come en vogue again after the repressive hiatus of the Enlightenment.

Damn it, I'm a nerd, too.

wilkera1 said...

Yes, somebody else knows how to pronounce the Ukulele correctly.