Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Numbtindoughland

I forgot to tell you the Numbtindoughland story.

So Numbtindoughland is about a fifteen minute walk due east of my apartment. I mean DUE east. It's on the same street.

I love Numbtindoughland. I've been several times already, just browsing, enjoying all the different things there are to see in the store. It probably doesn't hurt that I've been playing Numbtindough video games since I was still in short pants. It's marvelous.

I got to thinking, "Hmm. I wonder if they're hiring for seasonal part-time help any time soon. The pay is probably peanuts but it might be really fun to work in one of the most impressive video game stores in America."

I asked one of the clerks about possible part-time work.

"You have to apply through the Numbtindough corporate website," came the reply.

I decided I didn't like his response. I went upstairs and asked another clerk.

"You have to apply through the Numbtindough corporate website," came the reply.

I called my parents that night. They asked what I had been up to and if I was enjoying myself. I mentioned the whole Numbtindoughland thing--you had to apply online, but I only had limited access with my Blockberry so I'd probably have to forget the whole thing.

The End





Actually, that's where it WOULD have ended if not for my mother's efforts.

In our next phone call, she gave me the news.

"I submitted an online application for you to work at Numbtindoughland!"

"What? You did? That's great!"

"Yes! I couldn't find your business resume though, so I sent them your acting resume instead."

"Wait...what?"

"I think it makes you seem very interesting. I'd call you in for an interview if I were hiring."

I felt like I was in one of those sitcoms where the well-intentioned parents meddle in their grown children's lives and hilarity ensues. You know. Like accidentally replacing the main character's important business presentation CD with baby pictures of him in the bathtub.

I was about to sarcastically ask if she included a headshot, but I left it alone. There was no way Numbtindoughland would ever take me seriously now. I'd just have to be happy with model--er--temp work.

Last week, however...

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Me: (answering the phone) Hello?

Woman: Hello, may I speak with Forky please?

Me: Speaking.

Woman: My name is Henrietta Hammersmith and I'm calling from the Numbtindough corporate offices about your resume posting for seasonal part-time work. You sound very interesting. We'd like you to come in for an interview.


After a phone interview with Ms. Hammersmith and an interview at the actual store (which I blazed through with flying colors, I might add), I have one final interview to go this Thursday afternoon.

Maybe next time I'll think twice before getting frustrated with my mother. Thanks, Mom! You're the best!

I'll keep you guys posted. I expect I'll be hopping on turtles and shooting fireballs before long.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some...*ahem* temp work I need to get back to. And I don't have to worry about Mom sending them naked baby pictures of me because...well...

You know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Forky!!! It just goes to show that Mom is ALWAYS right... :)

Bibb Leo File said...

Will your mother send some of the short stories I wrote in elementary school to Oxford UP for me? I think they make me sound very interesting.

Tracy said...

Go, Forky's Mom!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't your mom helping you get a job with Numbtindough kind of like giving crack to a junkie? Or like giving donuts to me? Or like introducing an exhibitionist to an art student? Or like introducing Cliff to a female?

Fork said...

Kind of. I've already had to wrestle with the fact that selling video games to inactive children is probably a sin. Video games are like...I don't know. Like soma or something. O, brave new world.

Bibb-send the short stories my way and I'll see she gets them. It would be helpful if you also included some childhood drawings. Like the kind done with those scented markers that some dumb children would try to eat.

Anonymous said...

but if they smell good, they taste good, right? **She says with purple marks around her mouth.

The Cliff said...

I'm in short pants right now...Go Mrs. Forky's Mom

Fork said...

Kimmie G--You get this blog's first ever LOL.

Congratulations.

Or as our Japanese brothers and sisters might say,

Congraturation!