Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hopping M@D!!1!

I did some "temp work" at Edward Hopper's childhood home last week.

The whole thing was a little adventurous. The model coordinator for this group saw me at Venus DeMilo's "temp work" try outs several weeks ago and called me up about posing for an afternoon and evening class. I agreed and waited for him to give me the address.

He replied by saying I needed to take the A train all the way up to a hundred and zillionth street and he'd be waiting for me in his beat-up blue Chevy to transport me out of Supercity and to a secluded little forest town twenty minutes away.

I know what you're thinking.

Hell no.

Oh, HELL no.

I will admit that the same thought DID cross my mind. But remember, when I was a kid living in Alaska, I once prayed to God to make my life a big adventure. An AWFULLY big adventure. And so far He hasn't let me down. I've toured the country in holocaust dramas for children, worked on the 42nd Floor, rode the skycoaster at Six Flags, and moved to Supercity X. If that's not high adventure, I don't know what is.

So seeing as how God has decided to let adventure come a-banging on my door whenever I least expect it, I figure, if God is spending all this time cooking up wild and wooly things for me to experience, who am I to say no to them?

After all, the guy sounded legit. He had a website, an answering machine set up specifically for the group... I knew what I would do. I'd be smart. I'd flash my Blockberry whenever I got a chance. That way he'd know he was dealing with a person WHO WOULD BE MISSED.

I emerged from underground on one hundred and zillionth street, fully prepared to suddenly catch a cold or develop a migraine should my Jeffrey Dahmer appear and give me the creeps.

While the guy DID have a moustache, I reasoned very quickly that lots of nice people have creepy moustaches. Just because he had one didn't mean he was a psycho rapist. What kind of society do we live in if we can't accept rides from moustachioed strangers without worrying that they're going to gut us and stick our body parts in refrigerators?? I ask you! What kind of society??

We crossed the bridge and left Supercity X. I made polite conversation. I told him about how my mom bought me a Blockberry so she'd always know where I was. Just in case I ever ran into any trouble.

We hit the woods.

"Hey," he said suddenly, "we have a few minutes before we need to be at the class. Let me show you something."

Before I could say, "I'd rather not," he steered the quivering car off the road and onto a dirt path leading straight into a secluded thicket of trees and brambles.

"Well," I thought, "I guess this is it. What a way to go. Dear God, please give me peace as my captor plunges his knife into my naiive bosom and eats my foot."

"Look over there," said my psycho killer. I obeyed, knowing my obedience might soften his heart or at least cause him to let his guard down.

"Gee...it looks like an abandoned barn or factory," I said, heart palpitating.

"That's the world's first diet pill factory. They were little sponges that expanded in your stomach when you swallowed them."

"Oh," I said.

And that's the end of the story.

Well, there's the whole doing temp work in Edward Hopper's childhood home thing, but that's not nearly as interesting as almost being killed by a psycho art teacher...who was neither a psycho nor a killer.

Yes, my life has been one long adventure.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...spooky!
What a huge let down!!

Anonymous said...

Always a great time reading about the life of Forky!!! :)

Fork said...

SUCH a letdown! I was hoping he would say things like, "You're very succulent--er--talented," or catch him sprinkling salt on my arm. SOMETHING.

The Cliff said...

"He's got a real pretty mouth on him, don't he?" That's what I was expecting...he brought you to the mountians and into said pill/sponge factory to meet a toothless hillbilly who says you have a pretty mouth and then...

Anonymous said...

I don't care what you say! I'll never - NEVER accept a ride from a mustachioed stranger! The odds are not in your favor. Glad he didn't eat your foot

Anonymous said...

Maybe he wasn't well-intentioned, but God kept you safe.

Anonymous said...

(First Name) (Middle Name) (Last Name)! I am seriously disappointed in you! Have you read almost every story in the Crime Library for nothing?! We never. NEVER. get into a car with a stranger. Especially when alarm bells are going off. Those alarm bells are there for a reason! And flashing your blackberry just gives him a reason to rob you before he tortures, murders, and eats you and hides your remains in a hollowed-out log outside Schenectady! You got lucky this time, but next time, try thinking. Your homework is to visit the Crime Library and read the following stories:
1. Glen Rogers, the Cross-Country Killer
2. Michael Ross, Serial killer of hitchhikers
3. Bob Berdella, artist turned sexual sadist

Fork said...

Okay...so MAYBE I embellished/left out a few choice details of the story to make it more interesting (like going to the drawing group's website and checking with Venus DeMilo beforehand to make sure the guy was legit). Sorry for the fright...but at least now I know who my true friends--oh CRAP! I totally just missed my subway stop!!

Bibb Leo File said...

That'll teach you to use Miss Blackberry Jam-iqua for your idle bloglust on the train.

Poh Baayeebeh.

Anonymous said...

Forky, I still say those decisions are foolish on a Queen III level. Bad bad man.