Friday, August 29, 2008

Live Blogging: LaGuardia

In the cab to LaGuardia. And I'm getting motion sick typing this as we jerk and bounce around like crazy on these New York streets. At 4:45 in the morning it's just easiest to cab it! We're actually making *really* good time as the streets are pretty clear.

Holy cats. We are *rocketing* up the East River drive. This is nuts. We're moving so fast I'm afraid my heart might explode.

Just crossed one of the many uptown bridges into Queens. We're not in Mah-hah-eh anymore.

* * *

Okay. I made it. Everything's fine. I'm waiting to get on the plane to St. Louis (me. WAITING to get to St. Louis. What is wrong with this picture?). In the meantime, I have this *fantastic* "new" (?) Ink Spots album I just downloaded to keep me entertained. And if that begins to bore, I also have my DS, PSP, iTouch, digital camera, and the Ancient Book of Sudoku (copyright 2008).

I figured I needed to be prepared in case I should *shudder* have even one moment this weekend without some sort of entertainment lighting up the shadowy contours of my face. So I brought them all. Let's see...that's four screens, plus one extra (the DS) plus the Blackberry so if I did the math right (I don't have my glasses on) that's a total of six little screens to illumine my cold Texas nights.

Oh--and if you're at all interested in "The Ink Spots", look for the (five-star rated!) album "Street of Dreams" and download the song "If I Didn't Care". If you like that, congratulations. You have excellent taste. Ella Fitzgerald used to perform with this group before she really made it big, but got fed up with the high tenor. Apparently, during her solos, he'd stand behind her in all this ridiculous costume jewely and mug shamelessly.

Yeah. I don't know what *that's* like.

I feel a new post coming on.

4 comments:

kenley said...

I totally know the Ink Spots! And that song is awesome. Interesting name choice, eh? I have heard a Glenn Miller song where they 'parody' "If I Didn't Care," I think its called Jukebox Saturday Night. Thanks to my nerdiness in junior high, I know this music well. Nice plug!

Unknown said...

You're in texas? Does that mean Waco too?

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

I also know "If I Didn't Care" -- which makes me think of "Jukebox Saturday Night" every time I hear it. ;-) Of COURSE all your friends have excellent taste. You wouldn't like us if we didn't.

If you ever want to try some great streaming audio, google 1920s Radio Network. (It's not really '20s music... it's more first-half-of-the-20th-century music.)

kenley said...

Ooo, I'm totally going to try that 1920s-ish radio. Long live old-fashioned tunes! There is nothing like them.

Yup, Waco! AND Baylor! In fact, I very much enjoyed a few Baylor theatre productions (in case those of you who posted are theatre friends of Fork's.)