Monday, June 15, 2009

Hard Part's Over

Okay, the unpleasant part is over.

All the new gym members have been called and now know that there's a scared-sounding young man who is standing by to offer them a free personal training session.

Now I just sit back and wait for the money to start rolling in.

Oh wow. I'm SO bad at this.

See, I didn't realize that being a personal trainer was less about actually making a difference in people's lives as it is about selling "the package".

The manager is heartless. "They're just numbers to me," he said. HE SAID! "I don't care who any of them are. All I'm concerned about is they're buying stuff. So when you finish a session with them, bring them back here into the 'inner sanctum' (ha! ha!) and show them this book here with Arnold on the cover and open it to where the personal training packages are and get them to buy."

"One trick," he said, "Is to tell them the price and just sit there. Don't say anything. Don't say a word. Make them have to speak. Oftentimes they'll buy something just to get you to stop being quiet."

Well, he didn't say that part at the end, but he said all the other stuff.

So tomorrow I have my first session.

His name is Rudolfo. He's obese and rides his bike from Battery Park to work and back every day. He can't figure out why he's still fat. The manager said I needed to really knock his socks off or I'm not going to make the sale on this one.

So now, Forky teh noob has to assume the role of Mr. Fit and knock this guy's socks off.

Holy crap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meh. You lived in Waco. That should have removed enough of your soul to enable you to do the job.

Yep. I'm going through a bitter phase. Shut up and make the fatty on the bike less large.

Seth Ward said...

I hate high pressure sales. I once fled a gym during a high pressure sales pitch. It was unbelievable. I literally FLED. Got up out of my chair while the sales guy and manager took turns berating me, voices growing into a steady yell, acted like I was thinking, and bolted out the door. They chased me, apologizing and begging me to come back and that they would make it up to me.

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

You should get one of those big latex blobs that represent one pound of fat. When they wiggled that thing in my face at Gold's, I was really impressed. I still didn't sign up for sessions, though, so on second thought...

Have you talked to Megan? I think she does this stuff, right?