Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mega

Sorry it's been so quiet lately. I'm pretty worn out these days. What with more modeling, then running about going to auditions.

It's been quite a week. For one thing, Megaman 9 came out! That's a big deal. It's been about ten years since 8 was released.

Megaman was a big part of my childhood. I remember reading about Megaman 2 in that one issue of Nofriendo Power...read that issue till the cover fell off. We had just gotten a Nofriendo and were looking for games to play on it. And I decided I had to had to HAD to have Megaman 2.



My Dad took me to a Kay-Bee Toy Store (remember those?!) and I RAN to the Nofriendo game case. No Megaman 2. I thought there must be some mistake. It was in Nofriendo Power magazine. That meant it was out, right?

The lady at the register said they wouldn't get it in for another week. Or two.

I was crushed. I pointed at Donkey Kong Classics. It had Mario on the box. It looked like it might be fun. I'd take THAT game instead.



My Dad said, "No. We're not going to get that game just because they didn't have the one you REALLY want."

At the time I thought that was cruel. My hopes were so high. I had to leave with SOMETHING.

But no. I had to wait.

And I'm so glad I didn't get the dumb game with the monkey on the box.

Because the second I ran up the stairs, two at a time, and plugged Megaman 2 into my Nofriendo...my life was never to be the same.

It was my first video game. All the other ones were shared betwixt my brother and sister and me. But THIS one...THIS one was aaaaaaaall mine.

Thanks Dad!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice story, Fork. I remember the first game I could call my own (Super Mario World) so I know exactly the kind of feeling you're thinking. Brings back such good memories! (PS: Awesome that's you're playing the Phoenix Wright series too!)

By the way, do you have a PS3 and Xbox 360 already? If you don't, I suggest you take a look at this Stacker 2 contest going on right now where you can win the system of your choice. All you have to do to enter is design a 6 Hour Power t-shirt, which is surprisingly easy to do online. There are less than 350 entrants, so check out the contest details here: http://www.brickfish.com/Entertainment/Stacker2?tab=overview

By the way, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your blog, Fork. I work with 6HP so if you have any questions about the contest or6 Hour Power energy shots (which are great for gaming sessions), just ask. Be sure to tell me if you enter too, and I'll definitely vote for your design. Good luck.

Franklin Keane
www.6hrpower.com
Franklin6hrpower@gmail.com

The Cliff said...

Forky have you played the new Star Wars game? I got it, it's pretty great...except its way too short. I finished it in about 10 hours.

Anonymous said...

I remember Mega Man II. I also remember the bizarre cover art for the game. Seriously, Capcom, WTF?

Queen, III said...

I don't know 2/3 of the people who are commenting on your blog and that makes me uncomfortable. I just want to say that I hate video games, but that I am concerned about your illness. Do you know what it is yet? How come you never call me? And who is this Franklin fellow? I need answers.
yours,
queen