Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Je travaille.

I don't know if I spelled that correctly.  The important thing is that I think it would be correct if I spoke it.

I've been taking a French language course that I downloaded for my iPhone.  It's based on making logical associations with what you already know about English and I'm learning a TON.  It's become part of the routine.

Ah, routine.  I need one.  And I have one.

Morning:
Make breakfast (usually farm-fresh eggs, cheese, yesterday's baguette, and honey)
Go to the barn for workout #1 (depending on the day--otherwise I sleep in later)
Go to the studio and climb the stairs up to the third floor where the studio is (hence the name ... studio stairway)
Drink coffee
Model for the Drawing Session.  This pose is a seated one very similar to the "Ezekiel" sculpture, only I'm holding a pole.  They're going nuts over it. Drawing session is 3 hours long.

Lunch:
Lunch break is two hours.  I usually go to the bakery and buy a fresh baguette at this point and begin eating it on the walk home as I'm usually pretty hungry by now.
Once home, I check a few emails (not usually very many as it's 6:30am in New York) and then go upstairs for the pre-lunch 25 minute power nap.
Lunch lately hasn't been anything as involved as breakfast or dinner.  Bread, peanut butter, fruit, cheese, water, and maybe a bite or two of leftovers from the night before.

Afternoon:
Head back up the hill, past the ruins of the chateau, and back to Les Escaliers.
Model for the Painting Session.  This is a different pose.  I opted for a standing pose that I'm not just nuts about.  It's a LOT of work and pain for something that isn't really all that dynamic.  The students like it though, as they've had little else but reclining females for a long time.  Standing male feels new.  Fortunately, tomorrow is their last day with this pose so I can change it.  We'll give them something even better in the next go-round.

Evening:
Lately, it's been a trip to the Shopi (show-pee...the one grocery store in town) for more foodstuffs.
Followed by a trip home...
Then maybe another trip to the Barn for workout #2
Either way, then it's back home to make dinner.  Since the kitchen is so big and well-equipped, I've been getting back into cooking and eating a bit more of a balanced diet.  I'm sort of holding off on the veggies until the farmer's market on Friday.  More on that as it comes.
Oh, and it's the local rosé before, during, and a little after dinner.  When in Rome...

Night:
Email, email, email
Followed by French lessons on my iPhone
Read a chapter of the Gospel of Matthew
And lights out.

That's what's been going on of late!  Things may change a little here and there, but that describes the past week pretty well.  I'm super-tired from the 6 hours of poses and when I get home, I switch on the classical music, open the wine, and just want to crash right there.  But it's wonderful and the more French I learn the more determined I am to stay here FOREVER.

We'll see if I change my mind by the end of six weeks.  But so far, life in the idyllic little French town is pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Scott Baker said...

I told you! You'll be Jean Fourchette, le boucher American, in no time.