Saturday, December 22, 2007

Counter-Cultural

After my brief stint at NofriendoWorldLand this--er--Holiday, I've emerged, totally turned off to the whole American Christmas thing.

Here's the plain facts, folks: Christmas makes people into monsters. Folks say Christmas is magic for children? No. The anticipation of getting surprise presents is what's magic. No, folks, Christmas, as it stands right now, with its built-in obligation that you have to give people presents--the perfect present--is a total humbug.

I sound like a total Grinch, don't I?

But seriously, folks. Seriously. I don't see how anybody can work retail in the busiest high-tech toy store in Manhattan and not be a little changed by it.

"Well, those eBay people will have a Merry Christmas," said one upset mother who couldn't secure a GiiWhiz Machine Game for her kiddo.

Excuse me, ma'am, but I'm about to puke on your shoes.

I thought Christmas wasn't about toys. You should be able to have a merry Christmas with or without presents!




Still, I wouldn't mind getting that new ukulele...

No comments: