Friday, June 08, 2007

Ukulele Friday

Make no mistake, folks, I'm still learning the ukulele. So don't dub me "Ukulele Fork" just yet. Stumming is going pretty well but it still sounds a bit...twangy. Like, "Oh. This guy's still learning."

And I only know one song: I Can't Give You Anything But Love (Baby), although my teacher is going to be out of town the next few weeks so he's going to give me Tonight You Belong to Me to learn over the next few weeks. A-Dub, start learning the trumpet.

The biggest problem comes from "ukulele thumb"--the instrument is so small that you have to really squeeze the neck down in order to play barre chords with your index finger...and your thumb starts to kinda hurt after a while.

So while you're waiting for me to plunk out pleasing tunes, do your unused smile a massive favor and check these ladies out! Your tapping feet will thank you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to dub you Forkalele, actually.

Bibb Leo File said...

You ought to listen to Sir Paul McCartney's new CD Memory Almost Full for inspiration. He was trying to learn the mandolin (similar to your OOH-KOO-LAY-LAY) over Christmas, and the result was the first track on the album, "Dance Tonight."

You should be able to pluck that one out in a couple of hours. Then you should bash your ukulele against the walls and floors of your apartment, light the remains on fire, and scream out your window, "I've got blisters on me fingers!" That would rock.