Thursday, January 26, 2006

Angst from Above

So it all starts when I'm hired by the 42nd floor to be a file clerk/receptionist for the 41st floor.

Then, as time goes by, I start getting loads of responsibilities that are nowhere NEAR the job I was hired to do. And I'm getting in trouble for making little mistakes with them. Okay. It's ruffled my feathers, getting in trouble for something I'm not even supposed to be doing in the first place, but I've come to terms with the fact that I'm Eventual's beeotch. I'm okay with that.

Then Consuela, my supervisor, goes and gets herself pregnant while on her honeymoon. So now, on top of the job that I'm doing plus the jobs that I'm not really supposed to be doing...on top of all that, I'm being taught how to do Consuela's job (she's a six year executive level administrative assistant--I just hit my one-year anniversary working not only for Eventual, but for, well, ANYBODY). I think it's cute or flattering or whatever that they think I can do her job for three months, but in my cynical, whithered little heart, I know they're only having me to it because I'm cheap labor. Like some kind of illegal immigrant. I am not some migrant worker named Pablo!

THEN!! I'm in the middle of three different projects when suddenly I receive an email from Consuela telling me that I'm supposed to get with Jehovah's Witness Janet who's charge of shipping and retrieving all our offsite files and have her train me on how to do her job in the event she's out when someone needs something. The email concluded: "Let me know when you have decided on a date/time to meet with Janet."

Umm, how about after you give me a big, fat raise?

I may be a lot of things for Eventual, but I am not a prostitute.

Now I know the appropriate, rational, adult (read: schmuck) response is to prostrate myself before the corporate machine and pray every night that somebody notices all the different responsibilities I've taken on and pay me a few extra shillings for them. Yeah--I could totally see how that would be the right thing to do if I were in this for the long haul--pursuing an illustrious career as a receptionist who's also a file clerk/executive level administrative assistant/archives manager...

But I'm not in this for a career. I'm in this for the MONEY. And the view. And seeing as how not asking for money REALLY worked to my advantage after busting my butt to entertain the fatcats at the company Christmas party (see the sarcasm fairly dripping down the walls of my heart in a manner not unlike the blood in Amityville) it seems to me that not paying me for all these added responsibilities wouldn't be out of character for them.

I've got the rage. It's a good thing I'm not behind the wheel right now.

4 comments:

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

Have you ever asked them for a raise? You've been there over a year, you should have gotten at least one raise by now.

The Cliff said...

I could pretend to be your high class Lawyer, wearing a Matlock style suit with a huge tie, and go talk to them for you. I don't mind...really...it could be fun. I use legal jargon in everyday conversation as it is.

Anonymous said...

Stick it to the man, Prostitue Pablo! Demand that raise. And then tell Consuela it looks like she's putting on a few pounds.

Anonymous said...

I'd just go in and ask for the raise. Afterall you're not doing what you were originally hired to do. And if you quit they have to spend more time and effort training someone over again. It would actually be more cost effective for you to receive a raise.