Friday, August 31, 2012

Fork in New York

I'm back safe and sound. 

Well, safe anyway.  Jury's still out on the "sound" part.

Yeah.  Back in NYC after 2 months.  I was alarmed at how big my computer monitor looked and how clunky my keyboard felt after just using the MacBook Air all this time.  I took that feeling of looking at old things with fresh eyes outside as I walked over to the Chipotle for dinner. 

 And I guess...it's just funny.  2 months of seeing all sorts of neat new things, and then, walking through Times Square, I maybe looked up ONCE just to see what new billboards are up.  Let the Euros drink it in.  To me, it's dirty, noisy, but hey, at least I can walk everywhere.

I ran a few errands before forcing myself to stay up until 9:30 to try and beat jet lag.  It didn't work.  I didn't sleep at ALL last night.  Maybe just dozing here and there, but that's it.  So I'm feeling really out of it--as you may remember, I didn't sleep terribly well the night before at the airport hotel, and didn't sleep at all last night, and then another EARLY travel day tomorrow.  Fortunately, waking up early isn't a problem coming this way. 









Why, YES!  Another travel day!  You didn't think I was finished, did you?  I've got one more week of pinballing around airports before I'm settled in for the fall.  First up is a trip home for Labor Day weekend.  Seeing the sister and just generally hoping to provide some level of moral support.  Other goals include, but are not limited to:

Continuing to establish meaningful relationships with the kids
Getting over the jet lag
Going to the gym 

Since it's Labor Day weekend I wonder how crazy the airport will be tomorrow morning.  At 7am.  Freakin' 7am.  Which means I've got to be up at something like 4am to brush my teeth, hail a cab, and get there by 5 for two-hour chicken.

Check in.  Check.  In.

Did I mention I haven't slept?

So what's on the docket for my 24 hour shore leave you axe?

I have to get a little haircut, and a beard trim (because I get things like beard trims), unpack France stuff and re-pack with things to wear for the filming at Bible Study People for Life (yay pseudonyms!). 

After that, I'm really done for the day, however I REALLY want to hit the gym SOMEHOW.  I'm not sure... I thought about doing a bit of a leg workout day so I could focus on upper body in SC.  Reggie says I should avoid it altogether, as working out heavily the day after an overseas trip + jet lag is a recipe for certain sickness.

The thing is, things have gone just a little bit past "soft" and have moved slightly into the "I'm glad I brought my fat pants."  I think what I may do, instead of freaking about losing all this vacation weight, is to see if I can't balance it out by focusing my workouts mostly on gaining size and just try to hulk out a little bit, particularly as I'm about to be locked in with rehearsals for CAROL'S 2012 CHRISTMAS PLAY (another pseudonym!  I swear I'm not crazy!).

But before you start to worry that I MIGHT ACTUALLY BE crazy, take heart.  I have an October modeling gig at GeeCeeAee and I'm not planning on being a mess for that.  But still, I've got to get to work NOW to regain much of what I lost this past two months.

I know it's the jet lag and the amount of travel, but I really think I do miss Europe.  I REALLY wish there was something else I could do...another skill I could take with me to places like that.  And not live here anymore.  Or at least for a while.  Longer than just the 6 weeks.  Like a YEAR or two.  I actually really really enjoyed Holland, in spite of its pervasive superficiality and population of young, beautiful blondes who don't actually BELIEVE in anything.  It was nice. 

Okay.  Time to start stressing out about my day.  More later.

No comments: