Tuesday, April 07, 2009

External Drive, Internal Conflict

So I got to thinking about a sudden fire or disaster which would force me to run screaming from my burning apartment.

In moments like that, when you pause to consider your own mortality, there's only one thing that crosses my mind.

What stuff should I go back in for?

Clearly some video games as I'll have a lot of time on my hands. A bunch of protein bars to keep me going. And my computer. Wait...

My computer...yeah. That's pretty big.

But it's got a bunch of stuff on it that I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT!

So, in lieu of this, I finally plugged in that 1 Terrabyte external hard drive my Dad got me for Christmas.

Man...that thing is huge.

I copied, unloaded, organized, and moved enough data and pirated--er--borrowed--er--FUN games, movies, and music to fill a human baby onto this thing.

So now, when the nuke goes off in Times Square, I can run to this puppy, unplug it, and throw it in my messenger bag just before I'm blasted to cinders.

Yep. I was pretty pleased.

But something went wrong.

After I transferred about a ton of digital media onto this thing, I checked the "fullness-o-meter" from My Computer.

And there's only 910 gigs left.

That made me sad. Like, I thought, "Maybe there's some stuff I put on there that I don't really NEED. I should make some more room on this external hard drive so I don't run out of space."

Am I crazy?

1 comment:

AmberO at Sleeping is for Sissies said...

So, I actually had that "everything's on fire, what shall I save" moment a couple of months ago! (At my parents' place -- MAJOR wildfire -- thank God no people or houses or animals were lost. And we're talking flames mere feet from the back door. Total miracle.) Anyway. I ran back in the house to grab my cell phone so I could keep track of where my parents were as they separately tried to fight the fire. And guess what I saved? My cell phone. And nothing else. I kind of glanced at my mp3 player and purse on the way out the door and stopped, then had some weird thought about, "Well, no one else gets to save THEIR things, so it wouldn't be fair!" How crazy is that?