Wednesday, August 08, 2007

April Showers

At about 6:00 this morning I was wakened by blasts of thunder followed by thirty minutes of absolute torrents of rain.

Then it stopped and it didn't rain a drop for the rest of the day.

I left my apartment and walked to work. There were a couple of little puddles here and there, but nothing major.

I got to work at Nofriendo World Land. The usual morning Gii line in front of the store was really short.

I went inside. There weren't many people there.

I went downstairs.

OH MY GOSH! The break room is flooded!

I suddenly remembered the sound of the waterfall in the stairwell of my old apartment building. That t'weren't no waterfall.

I then got a bunch of emails from folks saying the ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ123456 trains were all down due to flash flooding. Millions were probably drowning in the subway tunnels even as I sat in our damp break room. I checked my Blockberry for news.

TORNADO IN BROOKLYN! END OF THE WORLD EMMINENT!

Not a good day to be out.

But that didn't stop Palooka Mom from galumphing up to me at 2:30.

Palooka Mom: WHY aren't grown-ups allowed to sit on the floor of your store?!

Forky: Excuse me, ma'am?

Palooka Mom: We're not allowed to sit down on the floor! What am I supposed to do while my kid trys out these games?? Why can't I sit down on the floor?

Forky: Well, ma'am, because we don't want anyone getting stepped on--

I couldn't hold back.

Snarky Forky: --and because this is a store. (tilts nose in the air slightly)

Considering it was 96 degrees with 100% humidity, drowed commuters, tornados in the boroughs, and all hell breaking loose, I think I handled that pretty well.

I wonder if she harasses the clerks at Macy's about plopping her caboose their floor.

Harumph.

No comments: