Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Drawing Competition: Days 1 & 2



At this point I sort of know if the new pose is going to be a huge mistake or not.

This one's not so bad.

Days 1 & 2 down of the Classical Drawing Contest at the Fancy-Schmancy School of Old School Art. School.

Three more days to go. That's 24 hours. Yes, modeling for 8 hours a day. Even I'M ashamed at how naked I am.

But I'm not always. I bought a designer bathrobe from Bloomingdales. It was on sale. So instead of paying $40, I got it for $18. Not bad. With the beard it makes me look extra-biblical. And by extra-biblical I mean, like, the Book of Enoch.

20 minutes on the stand with a pole in my right hand, slight bend of the right knee, contrapposto, head turned to the left, looking downward, like some sort of weary shepherd who's lost his clothes in the recent hurricane.

Other than that, I'm spending a lot of time on my super-lame iPhone 3GS (see above picture). It's incredible how Apple managed to, so effortlessly, turn this thing I loved into something I HATE. That's advertising!

So there you go. None of the colorful personalities from the sculpture competition two years ago. I'm also not allowed to take pictures of the drawings on my breaks so I can't post any progress shots.

I CAN say though, that this is one serious group of artists. It's SO quiet in there. So intense. Makes me crazy. Seriously. I have zero interaction with people from dawn to dusk. I just stand there on the stand, both TOTALLY isolated AND the object of everyone's COMPLETE attention. I think all the modeling is starting to make me a little crazed. Seriously. I'm getting TOO much time to just stand around and think.

I should be DOING things. Like lifting heavy objects.

Oh yeah. I'm having a fun time messing with some of the old timers. We'll be on break and I'll be looking at a drawing with one of the other artists I've worked with before and I'll mournfully whisper, "I am SO fat..."

I actually got one of the guys to become concerned.

I'm so mean.

No comments: